Contact Me...

Thursday 29 March 2018

#TheTrickToTime @KitdeWaal @VikingBooksUK






About The Trick To Time

Mona is a young Irish girl in the big city, with the thrill of a new job and a room of her own in a busy boarding house. On her first night out in 1970s Birmingham, she meets William, a charming Irish boy with an easy smile and an open face. They embark upon a passionate affair, a whirlwind marriage - before a sudden tragedy tears them apart.

Decades later, Mona pieces together the memories of the years that separate them. But can she ever learn to love again?

The Trick to Time is an unforgettable tale of grief, longing, and a love that lasts a lifetime.

My review of The Trick To Time



This book is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read about falling in love and what happens afterwards. The writing is poetic, tinged with knowing, and it resonated deeply within me. It's such a beautiful yet tragic story, that made me cry. I also know that this is a book I will read again and again. It's a love story that spans the generations, and it is exquisite.

We read about Mona. About her life as a young girl growing up in Ireland, about her thirst for adventure and a new life in England, and of how she meets and falls in love with William, who will become her husband.

The book explores new love, of the excitement of meeting 'the one' and how it consumes you. It then goes on to explore how love changes with time and circumstances, and that a tragedy can change everything in the blink of an eye.

Mona is such a captivating character and I hung onto her every word, I so clearly heard her Irish lilt, and by the end of the book I knew her completely, and my heart ached for both her and William. As a woman who is approaching her sixtieth birthday, she begins to explore what happened in the past, and where her life is now. Is she happy? Has she lived a happy life?

The Trick To Time is such a gentle, yet gut wrenching read, that consumed me completely. It is beautiful, sad, poetic, and utterly real. It's also such a difficult book to review without giving any spoliers away. It's just enough to say that this book will stay with me for a every long time.

With thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy

The Trick To Time is published by
Viking on 29 March and can be found on Amazon here.



No comments:

Post a Comment