Contact Me...

Monday 19 February 2018

The Memory Chamber @HollyACave @QuercusBooks



About The Memory Chamber

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.
YOU CAN PRESERVE A HANDFUL OF SPECIAL MEMORIES FOR EVER.
WHICH ONES WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

True death is a thing of the past. Now you can spend the rest of eternity re-living your happiest memories: that first kiss, falling in love, the birth of your children, enjoyed on loop for ever and ever.

Isobel is a Heaven Architect, and she helps dying people create afterlives from these memories. So when she falls for Jarek, one of her terminal - and married - clients, she knows that while she cannot save him, she can create the most beautiful of heavens, just for him.

But when Jarek's wife is found dead, Isobel uncovers a darker side of the world she works within, and she can trust no one with what she finds...

The Memory Chamber is a thrilling and original story which vaults the reader into a world that is terrifyingly close to our own, where we can avoid everything we fear - even death itself. But can we ever escape the truth? Perfect for fans of Black Mirror.

My review of The Memory Chamber




I'll start by saying that I absolutely loved this book. The premise that you could invent your own heaven is something that instantly grabbed my attention. The whole concept of heaven and hell,  death and dying, will always make for an interesting story and, the author has taken these ideas to create a high concept and fascinating read.

The Memory Chamber rotates around two central characters, Isobel the Heaven Architect, and Jarek, her wealthy and handsome client who is both married and dying. The story is told from Isobel 's point of view. A young woman who has slowly built up her career to be the best Heaven Architect that money can buy. She knows she is the best, and so too does the company that she works for. She has a thriving career, a loving boyfriend and a seemingly perfect life.  But all of this is turned on its head when Jarek walks into her office.

The world in which we read about is like our own world but also different. There are automated cars and science and technology has evolved so that people with money can now create their very own heaven, featuring memories,  special places, and loved ones. A Heaven where time does not exist,  and which memories are played on a continuous loop for you to savour. The idea of this at first seems idyllic.  Who wouldn't want their own heaven? But as I progressed through the story,  it threw up many questions and possibilities that made me think twice. Woukd oblivion be a better option?

As I read I found myself becoming completely immersed in this book.  In the intaanglement of Isobel and Jarek. I found myself thinking, what are you doing Isobel? You hardly know this man. But like her I was drawn to his fragility,  his handsome features, and generous kind nature. But at the same time I knew what she was doing waa wrong. But deep down I believe that Isobel also felt this in her gut. Did I like Isobel? No, I did not. Not just because of the fact that she has an affair with a married man,  but also because of her treatment towards her boyfriend,  and her general lack of concern towards others.  But, I felt that this dislike was needed for me to remain objective while reading the book.  She fascinated me. As did Jarek, and I simply couldn't tear my eyes away from the page.

This novel shook me, in that it made me question the notion of heaven and hell, what happens when we are no longer hete,  what happens to our loved ones, and if we ever really truly know those closest to us. It threw up so many questions. This is such an original book that I couldn't help but be completely captivated by it. I felt so sad when I read the final sentence, as I was leaving the characters and this high tech world far behind. And with it the chance to have your very own personalised  heaven.

The Memory Chamber will grip you, it will make you think about those closest to you and if there really is such a thing as a perfect heaven. It's a fascinating and original story.

With thanks to the publisher and Bookbridgr for my Advanced Reader Copy.

The Memory Chamber is published by Quercus on 22 February and can be found on Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment