Contact Me...

Thursday 15 March 2018

#TheDarkness @ragnarjo @MichaelJBooks



About The Darkness 

A young woman is found dead on a remote Icelandic beach.

She came looking for safety, but instead she found a watery grave.

A hasty police investigation determines her death as suicide . . .

When Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdóttir of the Reykjavik police is forced into early retirement, she is told she can investigate one last cold case of her choice - and she knows which one.

What she discovers is far darker than suicide . . . And no one is telling Hulda the whole story.

When her own colleagues try to put the brakes on her investigation, Hulda has just days to discover the truth. A truth she will risk her own life to find.

My review of The Darkness



Wow! This book! I read this several days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. That icy chill still running down the back of my spine. This is the first book that I have read by Ragnar Jonasson and it won't be the last. The Darkness is deceivingly slow to begin with, but is one that slowly crept under my skin and it still won't let me go.

The Darkness revolves around the main protagonist of Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdóttir. A woman who is nearing retirement, and who is shocked to find that she is given only a matter of days left to work  before a younger, and male detective takes over her duties. This premise in itself truly captivated me, as here we have a strong female voice, an older woman, and one who is a little bit quirky, different from the norm. She is also at times unsympathetuc, and I loved her for this.

The Darkness focuses upon a cold case that Hulda decides to investigate during her last remaining days on the police force. She soon realises that the investigation was rushed, shoddy to say the least, and she is convinced that the young woman did not commit suicide.  What follows is a dark and macabre story that kept me guessing until the very end. There is a tantalisingly slow build up with the feeling that something truly bad is going to happen. I couldn't shake this feeling off from the very first page.

We gain so much insight into Hulda's character, and her own personal story is just as intriguing as the main story about the myserious death of the young woman. We grasp glimpses of what Hulda's life was like, the woman who lives alone, who is apparently a recluse, and I'll admit that the ending stunned me. I hadn't seen it coming. And I sat and stared at the last page for several minutes mulling over what had happened to Hulda in her life, both past and present. The ending truly shocked me.

The Darkness is a captivating read. It is dark, menacing, and full of twists and turns. It chilled me to my very core. It's an absolute must read for fans of thlis genre.

With thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy

Thr Darkness is published by Michael Joseph on March 15th. It can be found on Amazon here.



No comments:

Post a Comment