Contact Me...

Monday 4 June 2018

#CrossHerHeart @SarahPinborough @HarperCollinsUK


About Cross Her Heart 

“SOMEONE IS LIVING A LIE… BUT WHO?

Is it Lisa?
Haunted by a tragic past, all Lisa wants is a quiet life with her daughter, Ava. And when she meets a new man, things seem to be falling into place. But Lisa is hiding a secret so momentous it could shatter her entire world…

Is it Ava?
When sixteen-year-old Ava saves a young boy’s life, she becomes a local hero. But never in a million years could she have anticipated the fallout of her actions…

Is it Marilyn?
Marilyn has the perfect life. Her husband, her job, her house—she seems to have it all. But she could never admit to her best friend Lisa the lies she tells herself to get through the day…

One moment will change these three women’s lives forever. And the secrets they’ve been keeping could destroy them all.”

My review of Cross Her Heart 



Cross Her Heart hooked me in from the disturbing prologue. I was transfixed until the very last word. This book is a dark psychological thriller, and it is dark, much darker than Behind Her Eyes, that I absolutely loved. This book bubbles with uncertainty, malice and deep dark secrets, one of which I found truly disturbing. There were so many twists in this book and I had to keep on reading to unearth its many truths.

This emotional psychological thriller features three strong central female characters. All women have secrets and I honestly didn't know who I could trust, nor believe in. Lisa intrigued me from the moment I met her, and I immediately liked her. Perhaps because she is a mother and we are similar ages. Ava I didn't warm to instantly, but throughout the course of the book I began to understand her. As for Marilyn, she was the character who it took me the longest to get to grips with. But, all three brought their own unique stories and secrets into the mix, turning this bobo on its head multiple times.

The first part of the book I felt was deliberately slow, as it introduced us to all three women. I could feel the tension building and that creeping sense of unease. Who was Lisa running from? What had happened to her? I knew that something really bad had happened in the murky past, and I knew that something really bad was about to happen in the future and it was this that kept me hooked, frantically scrolling through the pages.

Cross Her Heart is a very clever and dark read. I did find the subject matter disturbing, so rather than this being an enjoyable read, it intrigued me with its many questions about social class, poverty and child abuse. I had to read to find out what happened to these three women and what the conclusion would be. If you like your books dark, disturbing and with clever plot twists, then this is the book for you.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the digital review copy.

Cross Her Heart was published by Harper Collins on 17th May.


No comments:

Post a Comment